Having not been brought up by Southern parents and having never tried cube steak, I had to ask for help on what to do with the cut. I was not disappointed with the recipe Whitt’s daughter-in-law shared. I added the sliced onions, and I loved the addition.
- 2 packages of cube steaks
- 2 sweet onions sliced
- 1 large can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 large can of water
- 1 package dried beefy onion soup mix
I used two packages weighing approximately 1.5 pounds.
Separate the steaks, dredge them in flour, and season them with salt and pepper.
Brown them on both sides in some oil or butter.
Place them in a casserole dish in a single layer.
Place sliced onions in the same pan and soften for a minute.
Add the sliced onions on the top.
In a bowl, combine
- One large can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 can of water
- 1 pack Lipton beefy onion soup mix
- Pour over the beef and onion and cover with foil.
Bake at 350F for 2 1/2 hours.
I served it with mashed potatoes and green beans.